Tuesday 7 April 2009

Chef Jang, Aberdeen Market

This small unassuming place in the bowels of Aberdeen Market may be deceptive (and hard to find) at first glance. However you will find some of the best sushi and sashimi in Aberdeen, if not Scotland, lurking within. Apparently the eponymous chef Jang, was formerly personal chef to North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Il, and the quality is fit for a king (or radical dictator in this case).

I took my seat at the bar style table along with my work colleague for a quick lunch and pored over the myriad options available. I finally settled on the Deluxe Sushi Selection (£12.50). This may sound expensive but it includes no less than 14 pieces of sushi and maki rolls. This dish includes salmon, sea bass, tuna, king prawn and (I think) octopus sushi. Also there is Tobiko (flying fish roe) sushi rolls and Tobiko maki rolls - served of course with the obligatory wasabi mustard, soy sauce & pickled ginger. 

The fish was fresh and tasty, flying fish roe bursting on the tongue like fresh breaths of the sea. My colleague went for the Dragon Roll (£5.50) - a long maki roll with brown sauce and mustard rippled over it - may sound strange but it is a tasty treat.

We then pushed the boat out on some Unagi Maki Rolls ( a new addition to the menu) - smoked eel grilled with a teriyaki style sauce brushed over it and then put into maki rolls (£3.00 for 6). All in all a very enjoyable lunchtime sojourn. Perhaps a little on the expensive side but as my colleague who has recently returned from a month's tour in Japan stated - the sushi rivals that of any he ever found over there. A big thumbs-up - I take one point off only for the price which prohibits me from more regular visits!

Service: Excellent, very friendly and you can watch the sushi being made
Food: Top notch, to rival the sushi you would get in Japan
Price: A little expensive for a lunchtime snack but not too bad considering the quality of the fish.
Ambience/atmosphere: It is pretty basic as it is some seating in the Aberdeen Market but fine for stopping by for a few selections. 
Overall: 9/10

On another note I have not tried Yatai on Skene Street yet so I haven't had a chance to compare this so it would be unfair to call this the best sushi/sashimi in Aberdeen - I shall inform in due course on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment